Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Interesting tidbits!

I was reviewing our textbook yesterday trying to refresh and come up with new material when my boyfriend knocked a drawer out of the kitchen and spilled out all the cutlery, and as I was helping him clean it all up, I thought 'I wonder if a fork always looked like a fork, or if the design has changed'. I know that forks and spoons and such have evolved over time. From being a stick, to a prong, to the fork we know today. But I wonder who came up with it? So I did some looking and wouldn't you know, that during the Late Mod Era, some young thing did design new cutlery!

Meet Luigi Caccia who's cutlery is called "the most beautiful cutlery in the world". It evoked a timeless simplicity and elegance. Now, I looked up the purchase price for a set of these bad boys now, a single fork is $20.00 and a whole set is near $2,000.00. For utensils. Is that a rich person thing? Like, I don't really care how fancy the fork is, if I'm hungry I'll use my damn hands if need be. That is so much money to justify. "Oh it can stay in the family!" Really? Head to Target, IKEA, or Sur la Table and get a complete set for $50 bucks and be done. $2,000.00 must be crazy...
It's not even that impressive if you ask me. It's just shiny. Maybe I'm a cynic.

He was also an architect who did some pretty beautiful things in Milan. He created a radio receiver (with associates) that was mass produced. He did the Cassa Caccia Dominioni (which was destroyed), countless churches and urban buildings. He was pretty sweet.

Sorry this is sort of a short post but I just kinda thought I'd share.








No comments:

Post a Comment