I did warn you that I was really bad at keeping track of this kind of thing. I hate blogs. I think they're pretentious and tedious. I think I'm just bad at this technology age? Oh well, anyway!
So, the Late Mod era had some really beautiful structures that were built. We had 2 super ahead of their time architects that were really into making new stuff. SIDE NOTE: Pretty sure I've talked about 3 people now. Dior, Lloyd-Wright and Eames so I think I need to talk about one other person to meet the criteria for this project, for designers). Let's get started!
Frank Lloyd Wright was a superstar, born in 1867 and dying in 1959. He lead the way for other artists (in all mediums not just architecture) to make a personal signature style. He, himself is best known for the Falling Water house erected in 1937. It was built as a weekend get-away retreat for a client, but the way he merged nature with man, is something you have to see to believe. It is a seamless design of form dictating function, it is also just breathtaking! The man-made forms that he built around the natural structure of the surroundings...it is the most beautiful home I've ever seen.
Why yes, I would like to sign over my first born to have this house legally changed over to my possession and never be bothered by humanity again!
So more about this Frank guy! He designed 1,000 structures 532 were completed. Dude just didn't take a break. He believe in designing structures that would be in harmony with nature (SEE ABOVE!) and called it 'organic architecture'. The philosophy was simple, don't screw up the world if you don't have to. He was a leader of the Prairie School movement (I'll explain!) and developed the concept of Usonian home (will explain, be patient!), which encompassed what he thought was a unique vision of urban planning in and for the US.
His work includes original and innovative examples of many types: offices, churches, schools, skyscrapers, hotels, museums, and homes. He also enjoyed designing the interior like furniture and stained glass windows. In 1991 he was named the 'greatest American architect of all time.'
'Prairie School Movement - A late 19th and 20th century style most common in the Midwestern US. The style is usually marked by horizontal lines, flat or hipped roofs with brood overhanging eaves, windows groupd in horizontal bands, integration with the landscape and solid construction, integration with the landscape, solid construction, craftsmanship and discipline in the use of ornament. Horizontal lines were made to evoke and relate to the prairie landscape and was developed in sympathy with the ideals and design aesthetic of the Arts and Crafts movement which started in England. It was meant to embrace the handcrafting and craftsman that is lost when introducing an assembly line, mass production and manufacturing, which they felt created inferior products and dehumanized the workers.'
'Usonian was a word used by Wright to refer to his vision for the landscape of the US, including the planning of cities and buildings. He proposed the use of the adjective USONIAN in place of AMERICAN to describe the particular New World character of the American landscape as disctinct and free of previous architectural conventions.'
(THIS WAS ALL FROM WIKIPEDIA I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO SAY THIS BETTER)
I'm not picky. I'll take ANY of these house and interiors, all of which he personally designed.
I mean seriously? Come on. Please?
Charles and Ray Eames
This husband and wife duo made some pretty massive strides. They made everything, short films, designed architecture, furniture and industrial design. Not trying to brag, but they were kind of a big deal. The "Eiffel Tower chair" is a hallmark of their simple, form to function design. It is the first plastic chair to EVER be mass produced. Wild, right?
Thing hasn't changed in years. I had one in my room as a teenager. I'd fall out of it all the time, but I loved it. And clearly, it hasn't changed much. I still see this damn chair in IKEA, Walmart, Target, name it.
Any who, so, Ray and Charles!
Charles went to Washington University in St. Louis on an architecture scholarship and left after 2 years. It's mixed on why he left, there's some interesting theories such as his views were "too modern" and others that say "he support Frank Lloyd Wright too much" (like, how is that even a thing? Yeesh.)
He (and his second wife, Ray) created some pretty amazing things. But some of his most famous work is the Eames house, which is still a landmark for modern architecture. They also made textiles, furniture, designed magazine covers and basically, made other designers feel pretty useless.
The Eames house. Seriously? Come on. This just makes me hate my apartment more.
Hope this was enjoyable! Again, I used the internet, and our textbook for source info and material.
No comments:
Post a Comment