This post will be a lot of cool facts and stuff that I've assembled, in no typical order:
Did you know that Ferdinand Porsche worked for Mercedes and Volkswagon before branching off on his own and making his own super successful company? His cars were known for engineering excellence and simple aesthetic elegance. Sounds like every single car commercial I hear today. I just thought that was interesting.
Last time I wrote about the cutlery, and after a little digging in my mom's basement I found some old table wear setting places. They all had a very distinct organic and simple geometry but very colorful. I thought that was also cool so I figured I'd share.
The IBM typewriter changed the office for the swinging 60's. A light weight, robust, simple typewriter that had an interchangeable ball that had all the letters of the alphabet. The secretaries were so thrilled.
The Olympus Trip 35mm Camera was introduced. Lightweight, compact easy to use. A lot of people found out they had an itch to take pictures. Family vacations have never been the same.
Paul Rand flexed his designing muscles all over town. He developed a unique, distinct, graphic language with wit and simplicity. He's best known for working with Bill Bernbach to make IBM, Westinghouse, UPS and ABC-TV logos. He favored the modern techniques like collages, cut outs and photograms.
With all the improvements in photography, typesetting and printing -- the look of GD changed. Directors started cutting up type and pictures and gluing them to mechanical boards. It reminds me of ransom notes, it's very disjointed (to me).
Designers wanted their work to not leave the viewer passive but wanted to engage them. The goal was to peak the curiosity and use their intelligence and arousal to get the message across.
Yeah, so, that's all I have for today. Check back in tomorrow. Or don't, you never know when I'll post again anyway.
No comments:
Post a Comment